January 12, 2013

Death Star Intros Part 2

Death Star by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
Spoilers: You have been Warned
Chapter(s): 5,6, and 7

Dr. Kornell Divini is another example of things to remember when dealing with the military, the possibility of a draft. Last time I brought up how Rebels had to kill all those on the Death Star in order to take down the Empire. Knowing that a doctor, a man meant to help people, that doesn't want to be there in the first place, is on the space station does not sit well. Nether does his being from Tatooine, same as our hero. Let's take a look at the effects of the Empire. The doctors are to give extra care to Wookiees because of their working ability but others are expendable. He is noticing the wills around him but he isn't fully like them yet, he is still the new boy. He has the sense to wonder why wookiees are working for the Empire. It doesn't take long for him to realize they are like him, not there by choice.

Darth Vader is the only person so far we should have any expectations of. I don't really think mine where met. That doesn't have to be a bad thing though. This is what I didn't like, the fact he still feels he "reverts...to what Obi Wan Kenobi...has made of him (52)." I don't feel that is something he would have thought, that he was still what he once was. I'll see where it goes though. Other than this feeling of disapproval of the 4 pages of Vader's first appearance, I feel one thing was really worth commenting on that adds to what we know of him and ties into some of the earliest comments made about him. "Fear was good- in others (50)." This to me screams that he has not forgotten what put him by the side of the Empire, his own fear. This is a great flash back to "Episode 1"'s first meeting of Anakin and Yoda. I like this allusion because it is not overly blatant like I have seen some references be.

Sergeant Nova Stihl intrigues me. He is into philosophy and quotes a philosopher who says, "I know myself to be only as I appear to myself (45)." Nova heavily implies he thinks of himself as a good man but a simple one. The problem with good men is they rationalize how they are good men. He is a good man, he really is and I'm not taking that away from him, but he clearly tones down the wrong that is clearly around him. He feels sympathy for political prisoners, at the same time though he is a bit harsh about the world around him. Part of him knows that lack of free speech is wrong but he expects you to know your society and where you stand in it. In his would you act in the interest of your government for the good of all. He has one major flaw, he knows he is a good person, this is the government he works for, and he has no reason to question the goodness of that government.

 Reaves, Michael, and Steve Perry. Star Wars: Death Star. New York: Lucas/Del Rey/Ballantine, 2007. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment